We all have our go to snack that is mostly fast, easy and convenient. With many fast foods splurging in every corner, choosing unhealthy foods is as easy as 1-2-3.
But before you decide to run to you’re nearest fast food joint or buy store bought high sugar treats why not choose to buy something tasteful and healthy. I’m talking about yogurt. Yogurt is produced through bacterial fermentation of milk. The said bacteria are called yogurt cultures. The most used milk in making yogurt is cow’s milk although milk from water buffalo, goats, camels and others are also used to make yogurt.
Yogurt contains different sources of vitamins and minerals that are good for the body. One of which is it is a good source of protein. The proteins in yogurt are divided into two varieties, the casein or whey. When we say casein it is the water-soluble milk proteins while whey is the insoluble one, in yogurt casein is 80% and whey is the other 20%.
Yogurt also contains good fats. The amount depends on what type of milk has been used to make it. Carbs in the form of Lactose (simple sugars) and galactose are also present. The vitamins and minerals in yogurt include vitamin B12, Calcium, Phosphorus and Riboflavin. Another one is Probiotics, which can enhance ones immune system, help lower cholesterol, vitamin synthesis, digestion, and helps prevent constipation. Numbers will vary and it all depends on the type of milk used to produce the yogurt. Full cream milk has the most healthy contents, while those who used skim milk would lessen the calories and other contents as well.
Be wary of the sugar content on flavored yogurts; make it a habit to always check the nutritional value indicated on the label at the back side.
When we consume yogurt regularly, you will get to see and feel the good results it can bring you. First health benefit is with our digestive health. Yogurt helps prevent diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome and enhances digestion of lactose. Yogurt can also prevent osteoporosis, which makes ones bones weak, and brittle and strengthen bone health especially with elderly people. The reason behind this is because yogurt consists of high contents of calcium and protein, which are necessary to make our bones healthy and strong. Blood pressure is also reduced and maintained within normal range. People that are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt.
Yogurt can satisfy your hunger because of its protein content, people will feel full and contented by eating yogurt making cravings and eating more than what is recommended less and less, this is also good for people who wants to lose weight. It can also make your nervous system healthier, because of B12, which maintains red blood cells that keeps your nervous systems function in normal range. Eating yogurt, will give your immune system a big boost up. It is proven that people who eat yogurt do not get cold easily compared to others, yogurt can also help women become stronger and activate T cells which can fend of infections e.g. yeast infections. The reason behind this is because the healthy bacteria found in yogurt sends signals to your immune boosting cells to fend off unwanted bacteria and infection.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to your nearest grocery or convenient store and grab some yogurt!