Everybody has a different skin tone and with the various colors of a persons skin, comes the difference on the skins needs. Depending on the color of your skin, caring for it differs from one skin to another.
A human’s skin color is based on the pigmentation of the skin and is caused by genetics. A substance called Melanin affects the skin’s color. Melanin is produced by melanocytes, which is the main determinant of the color of darker skinned humans. Relatively dark skinned people are often called brown skinned and those with darker skin are referred as black skinned. Darker skinned people have more melanin and malanosomes which helps give more protection against ultraviolet radiation. But how does the needs of dark skinned people differs than those with lighter skin? How does it vary when it comes to caring for it? Read further below, to learn more about caring for dark skin.
- Dark skinned people tend to have drier skin. Moisturizing daily is a must to prevent the skin to dry up. May it be your face or the body, moisturizing is all the more important.
READ: Quickly and easily transforms a dull and uneven complexion and creates a brighter, more youthful-looking you.
- When taking a bath opt for a body wash that can also moisturize. Ingredients such as glycerin, urea, hyaluronic acid or dimethicone are components that should be in your body wash. For the face, use your preferred facial cleanser and always remove make up before retiring for the day.
- Exfoliation is essential. Dark skin, is more susceptible to roughness and bumps from dead skin cells. Although, keep in mind if your skin is dry and thin exfoliate once a week, and if you have oily or combination skin type, exfoliate 2-3 times a week. Using a bath towel or loofah can help make the skin look and feel smoother.
READ: Your skin needs to exfoliate!
- Like other skin colors, protecting your skin with sunscreen or sun block is needed; a recommended amount is at least SPF 15 or higher.
READ: Block the sun!
- Eating healthy and drinking plenty of water will keep the skin healthy and glowing both inside and out.
READ: Eat your way to fabulous skin.
Below are tips to enhance and make your dark skin glowing.
- Before washing your face, place a warm wash cloth over your face to open up your pores. Use a facial cleanser that is natural and organic. These type of cleansers doesn’t strip the skin’s protective acid mantle. You may also use products that contains essential oils, coconut, aloe vera, chamomile and oats.
- Use natural toners by mixing lemon juice and water.
- Applying oil that nourishes the skin is highly recommended. Oils such as sweet almond, coconut, olive or jojoba oils are some of the natural examples.
- Home made and natural mask can also be used once or twice a week. A banana mask is a good example. Mash up a banana with egg whites and use it on your face and body. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water.